Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My First Time


Okay, I can't say for sure that this is the first thing I ever made from fabric all by myself, but it is definitely the earliest example I have of my hand sewing technique. (It hasn't gotten too much better!) I was 9, and I had just gotten a new kitten, a white little fuzzball I named Pegasus, after the mythological winged horse, and I wanted to take him everywhere with me. He was too big to fit in my pocket like some rodent pets I had owned in the past, so I used a the leg from some jeans my mother had made into cut-off shorts to fashion a kitten carrier. So ahead of my time! Everyone has a version for their little dogs now!

From the big ugly green sewing basket that used to be my great grandmother's, I managed to find some different colored threads and stitched this masterpiece...freehand if you can believe it! In an early show of personality, I purposely misspelled cat with a "K" so the name of the bag would match my initials, K.K. The bag didn't serve its purpose very long, as the hand-sewn carrying strap turned out to be no match for the weight of my kitten. (No kittens were harmed though!) The strap was reused in the new improved 2.0 version.

No comments: